To be featured on villageinvest.com, a village should have its own savings and credit organization. These should be part of larger, local networks of savings and credit organizations, to allow for some economies of scale as well as cross support and learning.
Criteria for being featured as a village
- You should have excellent loan repayment rates and be actively looking for credit for your members.
- You should be regularly audited and be registered as a legal entity.
- You should share Village Invest's core values of good governance, social inclusion, accountability, transparency and self-reliance.
- You should have a system of internal controls and external audits, in accordance with the local relevant laws, with audit scope acceptable to Village Invest and annual audits by a reputable Chartered Accountant firm.
- You should not discriminate on religious, ethnic, political or other sectarian grounds.
You can apply on behalf of your village organisation via our contact form to Village Invest or you can apply through a technical assistance partner.
We partner with local technical assistance/livelihoods support agencies whose mission is to enhance the institutional capacity of the savings and credit organizations, promote their livelihoods and access to finance.
These could be government agencies, non-profits, social enterprises, or networks of savings and credit organizations.
Our partners will strive to ensure that the communities in their portfolio meet our quality standards and qualify for loans by attending tailored training programs delivered by Village Invest, and then by transferring the same knowledge to the communities. Partner agencies also monitor use and administration of loans by the communities and report regularly to Village Invest.
Importantly, our partners are not part of the value chain between lenders and borrowers and do not receive any financial assistance nor any processing fee or other commissions form Village Invest or the communities for their services. This is to ensure that the link between lenders and borrowers is as direct and immediate as possible. For this reason, under no circumstances will we partner with MFIs or other financial intermediaries.
Criteria for technical partners
- You must be a reputable, well established on the ground agency, with at least five years' proven track record of of mobilizing communities and building community institutions
- Your mission includes capacity enhancement of community organizations, livelihoods support and bank linkages
- Your work with community organizations is of good quality and you have excellent loan repayment rates. You must have a credit gap and be actively looking for linkages to financial services for your members
- You must have reached some scale already and have a sound growth strategy in place
- You must have committed and passionate staff in place in the field who are trained in community mobilization, finance and institution building.
- You must have legal status as a non-profit organization, social enterprise, established government program with semi-autonomous societies and foundations, or private sector.
- You must share Village Invest's core values of good governance, social inclusion, accountability, transparency and self-reliance.
- You must have enabling and innovative leadership and be willing to test and scale new and innovative ways of doing business with and for the poor.
- You must be willing to commit to partnership with Village Invest for at least 3 years including sharing implementation responsibility and costs.
- You must have a system of internal controls and external audits, in accordance with the relevant laws of its registration, with audit scope acceptable to Village Invest and annual audits by a reputable Chartered Accountant firm.
- Your organisation should not discriminate on religious, ethnic, political or other sectarian grounds.
Please contact us if you are interested in partnering with Village Invest.